MNM Serious Accident Alert
Surface Crushed & Broken Granite – On August 9, 2018, a miner was injured when the pan scraper he was operating stalled, travelled through a berm and rolled over a bench. The operator of the pan scraper was wearing a seatbelt and was able to escape with a cut arm.
- Always wear a seat belt while operating mobile equipment.
- Inspect mobile equipment thoroughly before operation.
- If deficiencies exist or if they develop during use, promptly remove equipment from service and report the problems to management.
- Berms must be at least mid-axle height to the largest piece of equipment using a roadway.
- Maintain equipment braking systems in good repair and adjustment.
This alert can be posted on bulletin boards, used in safety talks, or given to miners and contractors as a hand out.